Here's a link to the cowl I had in mind to make:
Pompom-Trimmed Cowl. The link is to the great tutorial.
In my sewing room, this is not a good sign (but it's a great tip):
|Damp sponge with little threads|
I wanted to make the cowl right away, so instead of ordering the trim from Purl Soho, I bought the size of black pompom trim that was available at Joann's. It's larger than the trim used in the tutorial, so I adjusted the width of the double fold from 3/4 in. to 1-1/4 in. to accommodate the larger trim. Because I'm so smart and can figure everything out.
I marked and pressed my fabric:
I used a denim size 100 needle because the border of the trim, which is stitched through, is quite dense, in addition to the multiple layers of fabric. Oh yes, all figured out.
Just fine until the tutorial didn't happen to take into account one of my little sewing quirks: I like to stitch from the right side of the fabric whenever possible. It usually results in a nicer finished look. In this project, however, after I sewed the pompom trim close to the edge of the double-folded edge, with the fold wrapped to encase the trim, it looked like this:
Purl Soho Tutorial.
Here's the finished cowl:
Update: Karendee asked what size pom poms I used for my cowl. Here's a photo:
Blessings and peace...