I'm following a fat-free vegan diet for health reasons. So that means no (cow's) milk.
Homemade almond milk contains no additives or preservatives.
It takes only a few minutes to make (not counting the soaking time).
It's so convenient to make it when you need or want it.
Homemade almond milk costs about half (or less) to make as it does to buy it. I will save more than $100 in the next year by making my own. The price of almonds varies, depending on where you buy it and whether you choose options such as organic. I recently bought a 3 lb bag of almonds in the baking aisle of BJs (similar to Costco). It contains 9-1/2 cups of almonds and cost about $11.00, or $3.66 per lb, or $.86 per quart of almond milk.
Vitamix (mine is Model 5200)
Strainer or nut bag (I use a paint strainer from Lowes that I triple-washed before using it for the first time)
1 cup dry roasted almonds
Vanilla extract (optional)
Sweetener such as dates (optional)
|1 cup almonds|
1. Rinse the almonds.
2. This next step is optional -- I like to do it because the resulting almond milk is as white as snow. Soak the almonds for an hour or more (or overnight in the refrigerator), then slip off the skins. If they don't slip off easily, you can place the almonds in a saucepan and cover them with water, bring to a boil, simmer for a few minutes, then turn off the heat. When cool, slip off the skins, keeping the unskinned and skinned almonds in water. Rinse the almonds again.
4. Turn On, quickly increase the variable speed from 1 to 10, then turn on High. In a few minutes, the almonds are liquified.
|Almost almond milk|
|Looking into the container|
5. Pour the almond milk through a strainer into a pitcher or bowl. Pour into a jar and refrigerate.
|Almond milk filtering|
1. I don't add any sweetener; it's just my taste preference.
2. I used to squeeze the bag to get every drop of liquid, but that adds more of the almond solids to the milk. Now I just let gravity do the work.
3. The solids can be added to a smoothie, soup, or cereal; and they can be dried and used in recipes.
Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. Fresh. Cold. Healthy. No milk cartons to throw away.
Disclaimer: I am an approved affiliate for Vitamix. You can get free standard shipping and handling (a $25 US/$35 CN value) by purchasing through Vitamix and using code 06-007841 when placing your order.
Blessings and peace...