Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My Breakfast Cereal

When I learned that my cholesterol was (really) high two years ago, I started making some changes in my diet. I have made many modifications to it over the past two years, but one thing has stayed the same: my breakfast cereal. It's very high in both kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble, which help to lower my cholesterol and also to have a feeling of fullness for several hours. You can read about other benefits of a high-fiber diet everywhere on the Internet. This breakfast cereal is one of the changes that has helped me to lower my cholesterol by more than 100 points (mg/dl) — and keep it there.

Several friends who have seen my breakfast cereal have asked me how I make it. It looks sort of like oatmeal but darker. It tastes a little sweeter than other cooked cereal. My seasoning blend is, I think, what sets it apart by the sweetness and flavor it adds. I think that the cinnamon and other spices have health benefits, too.
One batch yields approximately 30 servings. Each serving costs approximately $.50 (U.S.) and provides 14 grams of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which can help to lower blood cholesterol levels as well as other health benefits.

Seasoning Blend:
1 cup ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground ginger

Set this aside.

1 lb coarse wheat bran
2 18.5-oz boxes oat bran
1 cup seasoning blend (I usually add the remainder to smoothies.)


Pour these 3 ingredients into a very large kettle and mix thoroughly.

Store in oat bran boxes (just emptied) and mason jars.

To use:
Pour 2 scoops (just less than 1/2 cup) cereal mix into a medium bowl. 
Add 1 Tbsp ground flax seed* and stir.
Add 3/4 to 7/8 cup boiling water and stir. Let it rest for a few minutes.
Optional: Add fruit, nuts, and 1/4 almond milk.

* I buy a 1 lb bag of flax seeds and grind them in my Vitamix, then store in the freezer to keep them fresh.

Blessings and peace..

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the "Comment as" drop-down box, you can choose Name/URL and then enter your name (first name is enough) and you don't have to include a URL. I have disabled comments from Anonymous because of too much sp@m. Please let me know if you have any questions about this; thanks. You know I want to make it as easy as possible to hear from you!