Sunday, October 13, 2013

Atticus Is a Very Special Kitty

UPDATE Wednesday, October 16: Today is the last day that I am offering matching funds. So far, $375 has been raised, and with my matching funds, it's at $445 toward the goal of $526. Keep reading to learn all about Atticus and this fundraiser to pay for his recent surgery. Thanks!

My daughter, Emily, was living in an apartment complex in Charlotte, NC, when these photos were taken. Several feral (and lost and abandoned) kitties found their way to her second floor apartment at dinnertime every day. Emily provided food, water, and kindness. She was able to capture a few and have them examined by a vet and spayed/neutered. Oh, and that's when she started getting allergy shots because she is allergic to cats!
Atticus
Limpy Kitty (whose name is now Atticus) was my favorite of them all. He didn't let his disabilities (a significant limp and very poor eyesight) keep him from being open to Emily's kindness; in fact, he was a friend to all the other kitties (and quite the handsome suitor to some, according to the appearance of some kittens, if you know what I mean). We learned that some time before Emily lived there, Atticus fell (or was dropped) from a third floor balcony; he somehow survived despite his injuries and getting no care.

It wasn't just Atticus. There were Vivid Kitty, Li'l Black Sleekster, Marmalade, Mittens, Baby Kitty, and Tenor Kitty. Oh and Darla and Gateway. Emily cared for them all.
Atticus and Baby Kitty

Li'l Black Sleekster

Vivid Kitty and Tenor Kitty

Marmalade
They mostly lived in the wooded area next to the complex, and one or more would arrive at Emily's just in time for dinner.

When the apartment complex changed their policy about outdoor kitties (Do Not Feed The Outdoor Cats!), Emily was able to relocate a few through petfinder.com, including Atticus who went to live with Kelley, where he has been for several years. Emily and Kelley (and Betsy, who brought Emily and Kelley together) have become good friends through it all. BTW, these were only a few of the kitties that Emily helped. Some were camera shy. >^-^<

Kelley is one of those people who has such a heart for special-needs cats and dogs. She has several of each living with her, and she gives them all a safe, loving place to live out their days. Atticus is blind, but as far as I know, other than his limp, for which there is no longer any treatment, has been doing well.
Kelley and Atticus
Atticus recently needed surgery to remove one of his eyes because of inflammation and pain. Kelley lives on a fixed income, and she needs help with the cost of the surgery, which was $576. More than half of it has already been raised.

In appreciation for Emily, who cared for him for more than a year, and Kelley, who has cared for him for several years, (and in honor of our Maxwell, who has made a few appearances here and has eye problems of his own), I just made a donation. And I will also match every donation that you, my blog readers, make (by this Wednesday, October 16, and mention me or my blog in the comments of the donation page (rather than here). This link will take you right to the page to help pay for Atticus' surgery: You Caring. I checked out the organization and it is 100% legitimate.

When someone thanks me for something or other, I usually say, "We help each other!" This is one of those times that—togetherwe can help Kelley and Atticus.

Sewing content on my next post, I promise!
  
Blessings and peace...

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Sandra! I appreciate your help so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley, I don't really have very many blog readers, but I wanted to extend this opportunity for them to help you. You do so much for the little guys and gals, giving them a quality of life and love that they otherwise would not receive. When you have a chance, will you post a few more photos of Atticus at the You Caring website gallery? Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post and idea, Mom. So very, very kind of you. Those pictures certainly take me down Memory Lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, Thanks for your note. I enjoyed that little trip, too. I have more photos; I'll send you a link; remind me if I forget.

      Delete
  3. I'm still having trouble trying to donate at their site; but I will not give up! Sandra, what a wonderful tribute to Emily and Kelley and all they have done to help so many kitties in need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, I saw that you succeeded -- your persistence paid off! Thanks for visiting my blog. Maybe you and Emily can write a guest post about Darla and Gateway, I mean Cleo and Gateway. In January!

      Delete
    2. Would love to collaborate with Emily in the new year when she has time to guest post about her last 2 rescues when she lived in Charlotte. Saw Kelley today and she said Atticus was doing well...loves spending recovery time in her lap when she is at home on her desk top computer.

      Delete
  4. Sandra, thank you so much for your help. Atticus is so worth anything it takes to make his life pain free. Answering Emily's ad on Petfinder Classifieds was one of the best decisions I ever made! I look forward to the stitches coming out & him returning to a more active lifestyle. Best wishes to Max in overcoming his health issues...and you & Louie having lots of fun in retirement! Again, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley, you are very dear to write such a sweet note. I just wish we could have achieved the goal for you. You do so much for those little guys who -- through no fault of their own -- need extra help. I hope you'll add more photos of Atticus to the gallery over at youcaring... XOXO

      Delete
  5. I guess I came to your post too late to help but bless you for being so kind to a critter in need,. While more a dog person, I cannot stand to see any animal suffer. You did a great thing,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, Thank you for your kind words -- and for stopping by my long-neglected blog. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

In the "Comment as" drop-down box, you can choose Name/URL and then enter your name (first name is enough) and you don't have to include a URL. I have disabled comments from Anonymous because of too much sp@m. Please let me know if you have any questions about this; thanks. You know I want to make it as easy as possible to hear from you!